Thursday, August 24, 2006

BOM

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

BOM = Book of Mine

Jana was asking about my BOM. I started working on this at the beginning of the summer. It's a scrapbooker's way of telling about themselves. It can include anything you want. Most people who have a BOM include thoughts, feelings, and ideas in addition to pictures. I hope to keep adding to mine for as long as I live.

I started out by following challenges set up by Alicia at www.scrappersgalore.com there are also challenges with ideas on other scrapbooker's web sites like Willow Traders. It gives you a "jumping off" spot.

Right now I am going to be journaling some real sensitive stuff but it will be hidden in a little book. I'll see if I can post it later.

When I was on vacation last month in Utah I picked up a book at a LSS called
The Me Book. This book features the artists of Autumn Leaves. The name that I recognize the most is Elise Flannigan. The back cover of The Me Book says
it's all about me....What is the me book all about? It's about getting to the good stuff, the nitty-gritty, the things that make us happy, sad, fulfilled, passionate and goofy. It's all about documenting the roles we play and the life experiences that make us who we are. These pages are about using your old photos in new ways, retelling old stories with a unique twist and learning a lot about yourself in the process


I guess the last statement really says it all for me. Eventhough I hope that someone does care enough to keep my BOM when I'm gone, for now it's about getting in touch with myself.

In the 70's people used to talk about "Going to FIND themselves". I thought that was dumb but now at the crossroads of loss of a parent, empty next syndrome,choosing to retire from nursing and then facing marital infidelity, I'm off to "find myself"!

6 comments:

Bev said...

I got the same book!! It is very interesting. I intend to do some LO from the book. Now I just need to start. Maybe this would be a way to get out of my slump?

Bev said...

or el;se maybe it's not the same one... Mine is called "The Book of Me" by Angie Pedersen. It has 15 chapters in hopes you can find at least 15 different topics to scrap about yourself. It says " Far too often we forget to turn the camera around and capture ourselves.....dare to discover what you might find out about yourself" "You are at a crossroads in your life and have somehow lost track of who 'Me' is" I think if I actually sit down with this book I will lots to scrap about!

Alicia said...

You rock girl! Would love to see some of the challenges! Glad you enjoyed some of mine! I have the same book that Bev has!

Sandy said...

Bev, you're right, it's a different book. It just came out.

Jana said...

Thanks Jan! I actually have this book! I haven't had it too long but can't wait till I can have some organization in my scrap space so I can scrap!

UnsinkableMB said...

What a great idea...